Spotlight: Amelia Mauldin

Amelia+Mauldin

Amelia Mauldin

Who is Amelia Mauldin? Other than being the sophomore class president, Amelia Mauldin is an amazing, intelligent, and compassionate person. Her dream in life is to start an organization that promotes social justice, primarily gender and racial equality, and in five years she would like to be doing just that, all while attending Stanford University and playing tennis. As for a career Amelia said, “I would love to model, but my mom wants me to be a lawyer or even president. But if I were to go into politics, I would want to make sure I made a difference.”

At school, Amelia is not only the sophomore class president but also on the tribal counsel of Women for Women, and she is Vice President of the Peace and Justice Club. She is also a part of the JV tennis team. She chose Nerinx as her high school because “It has a good community atmosphere, and it allows me to be myself.” Her favorite classes are free period and Sophomore English. “Ms. Ervin makes English my favorite class because she is a great teacher, and she explains things in a way I can understand.” Amelia describes herself as a nerd. “I like to study; I like school, and I like to learn. I love the feeling when information finally clicks.”

On weekends, one can find Amelia watching her favorite TV show How to Get Away with Murder or playing with her 3 year-old little sister, who is her “favorite person in the whole world.” Every summer or spring break, Amelia travels out of the country. “My favorite place to travel is definitely Jamaica. It has cute boys and beautiful beaches.  Does it get better than that?” But if one is looking for Amelia at school, she should look for the girl who is sitting in the front row of any class having a heated discussion with her teacher about religion or politics.

Amelia is a great person. She is a hard worker, as well as an amazing addition to the Nerinx community. She switches lunch tables every day to ensure that she knows each girl in the sophomore class. “What can I say? I love Nerinx, and I love to talk to everyone in the school community. I am an open book, and I have no secrets.” So, if you see Amelia in the hallway, say “hi” to her.  I guarantee she will say “hi” back.