New Year, New Nerinx

Each year, students enter Nerinx Hall for the start of a new school year. Over the past 9 years Nerinx has made major renovations to the facade and interior of the building that students call home. The Heagney Theater was added in 2007, gifting Nerinx with a state of the art theater, new classrooms, a student lounge, and most of all central air-conditioning. Over the last three years Mr. Gabriel has headed two major projects in updating Nerinx: the main entrance renovation and the EAC renovation. All in all each year Nerinx receives new forms of modernization, and the 2016-17 school year is no different.

As students enter the East, West, South and North Hallways this year, they will immediately notice the color of the lockers. Over the summer, Nerinx finally repainted the old, yellow, and paint chipped lockers to a new neutral dark grey. Not only this, but Junior Hallway acquired new lighting to brighten up the smallest and most cramped hallway in the school. More interior additions to the school include the newly reupholstered furniture in the Theater Lobby. Before the Theater furniture had been reupholstered, it was yellow and orange, and it had rips and stains. Now, the furniture is a mix of bright blue and dark navy. The color was chosen in hopes of hiding the stains of dirty shoes and dirty skirts. In addition to reupholstered furniture, the Theater Lobby also renovated its stairs. Last year, the stairs leading into the Theater lobby were carpeted and had no railing. Frequently, students and teachers would trip on the corner or on the carpet. Now, the stairs are embellished with slick grey tiles and a silver railing for safety.

On rainy days last year, the gym floor would be covered in twenty or so buckets catching drips of water from the holes in the ceiling. Well, no more! Finally, Nerinx has a new gym roof, ensuring no slips, and no leaks. Now, one will notice upon entering the cafeteria, that there are more microwaves, and new and improved recycling stations. During lunches last year, students would make mad dashes towards the microwaves to allot enough time to cook their easy-macs. Now, with more microwaves, a new one is always open. Not only that, the recycling stations hold the microwaves, instead of the old fold out tables used before. The recycling station has nice and clean countertops with a hole for trash and recyclables, making Nerinx more eco-friendly and clean. As students step outside, they will notice two new renovations. All of the landscaping of the entire school has been redone, and a new patio has finally graced the courtyard’s presence. Last year, the wood patio which held a table and chairs, was infested with termites and bugs. Fortunately, now brick has been laid and all of the bugs are gone.

Over the next 10 years, Nerinx will continue to update its facilities. However, there is something special about the oldness of the building, that makes it so unique and special to its students. The ugly yellow tile on the wall gives Nerinx some charm. The infestation of ants in Junior Hallway gives students an opportunity to interact with nature. The lockers that never lock, get jammed, or never open give students a sense of excitement and anticipation as they receive their locker assignments. The year round heat that fills the hallways, makes students appreciate the simple things in life. So While Nerinx must improve with the times, it is important to remember the facility that got Nerinx where it is today.