What Constitutes a “Nerinx Girl”?

Claire Capelli

Juniors Ava Neels, Claire Teng, and Hannah Dillon show off their varying uniforms

Over the summer, a sheet titled “Respect the Plaid: Uniform Cheat Sheet” came home in a back-to-school packet. It showed three different general personality or style types for Nerinx girls: “classic,” which included knee high socks and a pullover sweater; “artsy,” which entailed a turtleneck, glasses, and canvas sneakers; and “athletic,” which showed a long sleeve polo, Nike backpack and shoes, and various pieces of sports equipment. Although many probably thought nothing of the sheet, some girls were confused by it at first. It seemed as though only three stereotypes of Nerinx girls or styles of uniforms were being acknowledged, and it got us wondering: Do most students actually fit into one of these three types of Nerinx girls, or identify with one most? How many types of Nerinx girls are there really? Are there actually any “types” at all? Do most people’s personal styles also align with their academic and extracurricular interests? We were obviously intrigued, so we decided to find out what other Markers were thinking.

Q: Do you remember the Respect the Plaid sheet that came home over the summer? Did you have any strong reaction to it in any way?

A: Trudy Lane, Sophomore: “Okay, so I knew the format in which they made [the sets]–Polyvore… but a real answer to that question is that I honestly didn’t have a reaction other than ‘I would never wear that outfit,’ or ‘I would personally mix them all together.’”

A: Julia Knight, Junior: “Yes, I do, and I was kind of confused as to why they felt the need to include that. Stating the uniform rules with the note that you can style up your uniform would’ve been enough. I didn’t need a stereotype diagram.”

A: Maggie McDowell, Junior: “I thought they were creative ways to style your uniform, but I didn’t really think it was necessary because everyone has their own style.”

A: Lana Hill, Freshman: “ I didn’t really understand it.”

Q: Do you identify with one of these types in particular, or some other type, or do you feel you’re a combination of several?

A: TL: “Probably a combination of these and others, like a huge mix. I saw some pieces of each one and thought I might put them together with another thing that I have, too.”

A: JK: “I’m none of the above; I’m Julia, and ‘Julia’ wasn’t listed.”

A: MM: “I don’t identify with any of them. I feel like I might be a combination of a few of them, or I would say I have my own personal style.”

A: LH: “I think I’m a classic Nerinx girl.”

Q: Do you think, in general, Nerinx girls tend to fit into one of these three categories? Or does everyone have their own individual style that may or may not coincide with their interests and activities?

A: TL: “I feel like most people have their own style and personality that they express through their clothes. There are always going to be fads or looks that a lot of girls will do, but that doesn’t make them lose their individuality.”

A: JK: “I think that every Nerinx girl goes beyond their fashion stand points. They can wear the vintage, or the retro, or the Lily [Pulitzer] and Lulu [Lemon], but no one really wears it the same. It’s not the same intention or look, or the same trend even; Nerinx girls are so loud and expressive that rarely will you find two exactly the same.”

A: MM: “ I think some people might fit into those categories, but the majority of people have their own style.”

A: LH: “I think that everyone is different, and has their own sense of style.

The sheet of uniform guidelines was not intended to spark controversy, but it did start a conversation amongst some of us about what it truly means to be a Marker. Nerinx girls are a diverse group of young women, with a wide variety of interests, tastes, and styles. We have a lot of freedom when it comes to self-expression with our uniforms, and there are so many things we can add to give it our own personal flare. Although there may be some on-trend looks that many people wear, no two students are exactly alike, and therefore, they will not wear them in exactly the same way. This strong element of diversity is part of what makes Nerinx Nerinx.