A Close Up Experience

Nerinx girls sit on the steps of the Capital Building.

Ms. McSorley

Nerinx Hall participated in the recent Close Up Trip in Washington D.C. from February 14th through the 18th. Six Nerinx classmates experienced a “close up” education on politics and the history of American government. Meridian McDaniel, CJ Donegan, Cassie Dawson, Kayla Arnett, Samantha Coleman, and Emilie Garza explored the monuments, museums, and memorials Washington D.C. has to offer.

During their Close Up experience, students were introduced to a variety of opinions and beliefs about different topics in government. They had the opportunity to interact with other teenagers around the country who came from places such as Iowa, Texas, Montana, California, Indiana, and New York. Before they knew it, friendships were formed and snapchats were exchanged.  Nerinx students expressed themselves in their workshops and with the instructors. Small debates were held among workshops and opinions were explained as  Nerinx girls sat in on a liberal vs. conservative debate. Their schedules were packed from 7 o’clock in the morning until 10 o’clock at night, with visits to the Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, 9/11 Pentagon Memorial, seminars, The Library of Congress, and multiple Starbucks runs.

On Capitol Hill day, the students met with Senator Blunt and Senator McCaskill’s staff members. Here, they had the opportunity to ask questions and voice concerns about government topics. The girls had a fun and informal meeting with Emma Kenyon, an alumna from Nerinx who is Senator McCaskill’s Staff Assistant. Kenyon explained how Nerinx has greatly affected her life today. She told the girls that Nerinx teaches its students to never apologize for voicing their opinions. This lesson helped her achieve a great career.

The Close Up experience would not have been possible without guidance and encouragement from Ms. McSorely. Ms McSorely’s passion and excitement for the Close Up Program encouraged Nerinx students to step outside of their comfort zones and interact with other students around the country. Close Up is a thrilling educational adventure. So, bring out the blazers and Hunter Boots and represent Nerinx on Close Up next year!