Cross Country Team Brings Home State Championship

The cross country team shows off award during pep rally

Led by senior Sophia Racette, the Nerinx varsity cross country team won its first ever state championship on Saturday, November 8.  The race was at Oak Hills Golf Course in Jefferson City.

After winning districts and sectionals, Nerinx was one of sixteen teams to qualify for the women’s class 4A state meet.  Going into the meet, the Markers were ranked second to Lafayette High School.  When junior Kate McAtee heard that Nerinx had won, she was initially surprised.  “However,” said McAtee, “after thinking about all the hard work each of us put in during the season, I had no reason to be shocked. We raced for the team.”

In cross country, the team with the lowest number of points is the winner.  Teams are allowed to race seven runners, but only the top five runners’ places are scored.  Those five place numbers are added together to reach the team’s total score.  Nerinx finished with a total of 82 points, 21 points less than the second place team, Lafayette High School.

We are focused on competing as a team, racing our hearts out for each other, and leaving it all out on the course.

— Sophia Racette

Out of the 168 runners in the women’s class 4A race, Sophia Racette and sophomore Erin Smith were in the top 25, which means they were both named to the all-state team.  Racette finished second, and Smith came in 23rd.  Following them, freshman Sloane Montgomery was 26th, sophomore Emma McAtee was 32nd, senior Meggie Hagerty was 45th, Kate McAtee was 79th, and freshman Bella Racette rounded out the Nerinx team at 123rd.

The varsity team and the rest of Nerinx are ecstatic about the big win.  The school even had a pep rally during homeroom on Monday, November 10, to celebrate.  “Hoisting that first place trophy filled me with pride to be a part of such an amazing team and school community,” said Hagerty.

On Sunday, November 16, the seven varsity runners will race at the Nike Cross Regionals in Terre Haute, Indiana.  If the team finishes in the top two, they will move on to race in Portland, Oregon on December 6.  Senior Sophia Racette believes that the team may have a chance to qualify if they race as well as they did at the state meet.  “We are focused on competing as a team, racing our hearts out for each other, and leaving it all out on the course,” said Racette.  “If we can do that, I believe we will show the country what the Markers are made of and will be satisfied with the results.”  Let’s go Markers!