Breaking Barriers, One Class at a Time

The new STEM class at nerinx encourages women to pursue careers in science, tech, engineering and math.

Photographer: Maddie Hasek

Maddie Mueller writes code in her STEM class

This year, the Nerinx Hall Science Department introduced a new class for Seniors and Juniors: Introduction to Computer Science and Engineering (or STEM class).  The class offers an introduction to computer coding, 3D printing, and robotics. This past semester the first group of seniors to ever experience the course made their own personalized web apps, designed and printed 3D objects, and had robotics competitions between four groups within the class. According to Mr. Kuensting, the class instructor, STEM at Nerinx is designed to be a “tinkering class” or a hands-on learning experience that is almost entirely student-driven.  There are no notes or tests, but instead students are graded on their work ethic and final projects.  Projects range from creating a functioning website, to building a robot part or printing an object.

The push for an engineering-centered course at Nerinx came not only from the Nerinx Science department, but also from other faculty and the administration.  As schools around the country begin offering courses in STEM fields, it seemed natural that Nerinx follow suit and give students the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of the latest technology.   The hope was that through this course, Nerinx women would better understand how technology functions.  Based on general feedback from the first class, it was a success.  Due to the gender disparity within STEM fields, this new class provided yet another way for Nerinx women to continue empowering themselves. According to a report by NPR, women currently compose only 25% of all workers in  mathematics, engineering, and other technological fields.

Other than empowering women specifically in STEM fields, Nerinx Hall’s STEM class succeeds in empowering students in other ways. Because the class is based on a student-centered curriculum, creativity and independence are essential to success in the course. From selecting an idea for a web app, to designing a new apparatus for the team’s robot, students are encouraged to think critically and solve problems on their own.  These skills are not only essential within STEM fields, but are also important in other areas of work, as well. At Nerinx, students are encouraged to think critically and independently and thus grow into empowered, strong-willed young women. Mr. Kuensting speaks to the importance of STEM class not only for students interested in related fields, but to all Nerinx women: “Parents want the STEM class. Girls need STEM class. We need to show you how you can be a mover and shaker and an engineer, too.”

This year only an introduction to STEM is offered. However, Mr. Kuensting sees the possibility for a STEM II course in the future, which would offer an advanced look at coding, robotics, and/or 3D printing. He also hypothesized that the course might split in coming years into two separate sections: one for just computer coding and one for robotics. He hopes that Nerinx Hall will continue its push for and invest in STEM-centered courses in the future.